Mass is pretty hit or miss these days. Ellen has been doing surprisingly well, but Sam and his weird digestive issues have us running for the bathroom once or twice an hour. It’s, you know, fun.
And, like any other parent who wishes to a least hear an “Amen” during the service, we pack a little Mass bag. Here is what it looks like lately:
- a diaper for each kid and a small case of wipes
- knot rosary: Mike and I both received one during our wedding Mass, and now I buy them for the kids for their Baptisms.
- a couple of Catholic books: This stops Ellen from ripping up the hymnals. Why is she so two?
- keychain of prayer cards: check out the fool-proof directions here
- no snacks: I’m not against snacks in church, it’s just that I think Ellen can handle Mass without them now, so we’re trying. Trying.
Most of the time, I am quietly whispering in Ellen’s ear trying to explain parts of the Mass and keep her interested, but there are times when that’s just not going to happen, so the bag makes an appearance. Our lovely, wonderful bag.
What’s in yer bag? Or are your kids really well-behaved? How do you get some of those kind of kids?