Another simple yet thoughtful gift for Mother’s Day: a pie in a jar!
This took me just a tad bit longer than it usually takes to make a normal pie due to the fact that I was stuffing pie crust into a jar and not just laying it out in a plate. I think it was well-worth the extra ten minutes though, don’t you?
Here are some pics and quick instructions.
1. Use the pie crust and filling recipes of your choice
2. Stuff your jars will the crust; I found using a spatula helped. Also, I used the large size canning jars, but you could easily make these in the tiny ones…it would just make more!
3. Add your pie filling of choice. I used apple.
4. Top with a bit more crust, and be sure to cut a vent.
5. Screw on the top and freeze. When you want a pie, just set it out for about 10 min while your oven preheats to 350 F, then bake for 30-40 min uncovered. Keep an eye on it so that the top doesn’t start to burn!
The big jar!
Filling of choice. I don’t normally leave the skins on my apples, but I wanted some extra vitamins this time.
Decorate and freeze!
Now my mom and mother-in-law can have pie on demand without any of the hassle :)