- We wanted someone we were familiar with that we could talk to when we felt unsure or if something went awry
- We were nervous the doctors and nurses might push their agenda on us, but a doula would stick to our birth plan
- We wanted someone who wasn’t as emotionally involved as our family that would be able to keep a clear head
- Ellen is our first baby. We needed all the insurance and assurance we could get!
5. What should a person expect to pay?
So, If you are considering hiring a doula, take a look at this guide first. One main argument I hear against hiring a doula is that she will take over the dad’s role in the birth. Here is one of the best articles I have found countering that argument. I know this summed up Mike’s thought process very well.
So, what are your thoughts on the topic? Would you hire a doula? Why or why not? Let me know in the comment section below.
If you are in the market for a doula, contact Vicki. If she is not in your area, she can also help you find someone close to you!