Sometimes you just have to buy the kids a TV dinner, and make yourself something grown up. And, while the kids munched on microwaved corn dogs and french fries (surprisingly they weren’t fans, which, I guess, is good?), I treated myself to an iron fest. Call me iron woman.
6 beets including stalks and greens
one large onion
pkg sliced mushrooms
2 cloves diced garlic
crumbled goat cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1. Roast your beets in the oven. I like this method.
2. Meanwhile, chop up your beet stalks and onions. Saute them with mushrooms until almost tender.
3. Add diced garlic and beet leaves. Cook until leaves are wilted. Salt and pepper as you wish.
4. When beets are done, remove skins and dice into bit sized pieces.
5. Mix beets and saute mixture together.
6. Before serving, top with crumbled goat cheese.
Your kids are NEVER going to want a bite of this, so revel in a dinner where children aren’t asking for, “just.one.tiny.bite.please!”